tpratch
(Moderator)
Fri Jul 08 2005 02:06 PM
Re: GOM Water Vapor Imagery

Most definitely.

Hurricane tracking is a highly inexact science.

That the models/predictions have gotten better over the last few decades only makes it worse - because it is still very much an inexact science.

The cone of error is there for a damn good reason and everyone needs to respect that. If a hurricane watch or warning goes up, do the safe thing and finish your preparations. I-95 was a parking lot last year heading north during Frances and Jeanne. My parents decided to evacuate to the west coast of Florida for Frances, and they were a little better off - until the storms hit over there too.

Level-headedness is a trait everyone could use more of right now. So please, everyone - try and avoid making rash statements, wishcasting, and/or fearcasting.

The track is in the hands of the professionals now and there are many folks on this board whose insight is more valuable than gold. Let's give them the stage and continue our normal discussions.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people registering to ask questions any of us are qualified to answer ("where's the best place on the beach to watch an approaching hurricane?" - answer: "none")

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center