Terry Johnson
(Verified CFHC User)
Fri Jul 08 2005 02:34 PM
Re: GOM Water Vapor Imagery

Gitmo is surrounded on the 3 sides by mountain ranges to the north and east and west and is fairly impervious to storms north of those mountains. I was stationed there from 1973-1976 and weathered Hurricanes Caroline and Eloise. Both, however tracked north of the base and we only got T.S winds and a hell of a lot of rain. Despite only those wind levels, I had rain coming in the cinder block walls of the barracks. I know they have improved things there somewhat since my stay, but being on the N.E side of this one, leads me to believe that they got a terrific surge coming into that bay from the south and the mountains could not help with breaking up the wind. I, too, am very interested in how they fared.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center