damejune2
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Jul 08 2005 03:32 PM
Re: Dennis Deepens

I think there are some mountains in the region, but certainly not enough to really hinder the storm. Maybe if the storm was traveling at a really slow pace, like under 10mph, it's possible that you may see some drastic drop in intensity, but i doubt that will happen. Years ago i saw a cat 4 go through Dominican Rep/Haiti: mostly mountains and rugged terrain. When the storm emerged on the other side, it took less than one advisory for it to gain it's strength again. I think it was Georges and maybe it wasn't cat 4 at that time, but i know it hit those mountains and it did lose some kick, but it regained it all when it hit the water again.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center