ptbies
(Registered User)
Sun Jul 10 2005 02:04 PM
Re: Family is hunkering down...

Usually I just sit back and read but this one I do know about! I went to Port Charlotte after the storm and then living in Vero Beach went through 2 last year. This is what I learned. Have plenty of gas and ice on hand, you will not be able to get it for a couple of days. If you can it will be gone fast. If you want FEMA to reimburse you for a generator do not buy it the day before an event, they will not pay!?? Nextel is used by emergency groups so they may lock you out. We lost two towers on top ot that. Nextel and other companys will give you a break on your payments if you call them! If you have a generator and can run your frig. frozen gatorade is a treat!! Oh, don't forget propane for your gril and a fan. It gets really hot down here! Surviving the next 2 wks after the storm can be the hardest.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center