Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 10 2005 08:31 PM
Re: Dennis' Landfall

Quote:

I don't know... some of these news reports are a little silly. The two guys on CNN are pretending that they are in the eye... You guys do realize that this is nothing even remotely close to what going through a major hurricane is like?

I agree.

Well the first thing that I thought was weird was that when it was blowing they kept saying that they must be in the eye...here they are covering hurricanes and they don't even understand the difference between the eye (calm) and the eye wall (big wind).

The second thing is - why the heck do they all go stand out in the wind or knee deep in water or wherever they think it looks the worst? That will just convince people that there isn't any reason not to go right down to see a hurricane because hey look you can stand in it. It seems like either they are out there when they shouldn't be, or they're outside trying to convince you that they are in the middle of some terrible storm and yet standing in front of a bush where the leaves aren't even fluttering.

I am wondering if the winds weren't lifted off the ground a bit. I agree with you those fellows were not in the middle of what you think of when you think of a serious hurricane: high level winds that are sustained over a long period of time.

I think maybe first because it blew through so fast, and second, the high winds were so limited around such a small area. Third, it really is hard to tell just how hard the wind is blowing by seeing someone stand in it on TV, so it could have been blowing harder than it seemed. Finally, I think this storm really did blow itself out a lot before hitting land (starting over an hour before when the radar signature of the eye started looking like a comma with the south side breaking up a bit).

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center