CaneTrackerInSoFl
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 11 2005 05:49 PM
Re: stupid question

Quote:

Hi to all.... I've been watching these hurricanes and all the related info for the past year, ever since Charley came through town and had it's way with us. I understand the direct relation to millibars, troughs and other variables that make each hurricane different. What I don't understand, is what exactly do they mean when they say "a tropical wave off the coast of Africa". Is it literally a wave, as we picture it? Or is it a thunderstorm that blows off the coast? I'm just interested in the origins of these things..... :?:

A Tropical Wave usually blows off Africa with thunderstorms. It is not literally a wave like an ocean wave. Usually, these have vortexes to my knowledge that causes them to be classified as a Tropical Wave. Tropical Waves have the potential to become a TD--->TS--->H if they can consolidate the thunderstorm activity and the upper, mid, and low level circulations. You may ask, how is this possible? That their are three different circulation centers. Its quite simple, upper, mid, and low refers to the level of the atmosphere its in. Most tropical waves do not become storms.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center