Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Thu Jul 14 2005 03:23 PM
Re: Steve Gregory's Wunderground blog

Quote:

I personally think that if the NHC started using the "cone of death" it might actually get attention too. Sensationalism sells, ya know?

That's kinda funny.

You know I was reading a story on cnn.com about someone who stayed in their home during IVAN and the home was hit by the storm surge. The experience they described was horrific. As their home washed away they spent 9 hours in the storm waters. These same folks decided to ignore the evac order for DENNIS as well...the reasoning was as follows: "We've been through the worst. It couldn't get any worse," "You can't run from every one of them," and "I'm a firm believer you don't die before your time."

One of my own brothers said to me about Dennis, when it strengthened to a solid CAT 4 and changed direction to the west, "It doesn't matter where the forecast goes. We're staying here."

There you go...as much as I do like the idea, don't think the "cone of death" would change the minds of the folks whose minds need changing.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center