Lysis
(User)
Thu Jul 14 2005 11:08 PM
Re: not due west...a wobble

Clark, get this:

My mom signed me up for private driving lessons a few days ago, and my instructor was ancient (I felt a little nervous driving with him). We started talking and I invariably brought up the subject of hurricanes and flying into them (I am a pilot in training). To that he responded… you don’t want to fly in one, trust me. I inquired as to why, and to my surprise, this guy was captain on one of the first B-29's to fly through the eye of a hurricane. They were instructed to circle the eyewall as scientist on board took pictures and recorded data. He talked about the downdrafts and updrafts (as you know, they couldn’t detect them back then), and how sometimes planes would come back with salt water in their engines.

I was absolutely astounded, and missed a stop sign because I was asking him so many questions.

EDIT: On your last post, I have a question about wind speed in relation to the systems forward speed. The LI express comes to mind, where the wind gusts were 180mph + despite the fact that the storm was only a category 3. Is that a product of the extremely high speed that the storm was traveling?
Hurricane Hazel in the 50’s (?) is another one.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center