cjzydeco
(Weather Guru)
Fri Jul 15 2005 01:59 PM
Re: Emily Category 4, Hurricane Warnings up for Jamaica

Biowatch... I have never been to the Yucatan, but from years in school studying geology, I do know that the Yucatan is a plateau composed mostly of limestone (very porous) and is an area of very low relief with elevations varying by less than a few hundred meters (about 500 feet). Any place that gets an exorbitant amount of rain can be prone to flooding, but true "flash floolding" (rushing torrents of raging flood waters) is less common in flat areas like Florida and places like the Yucatan. Thus, a hurricane in the Yucatan probably would not cause the mud sildes that we saw with Georges a few years back (I think that was it).

However, the fact that the Yucatan is low-lying and flat means the coastal areas may be prone to storm surges that reach several miles inland, as in Florida. Also, because the area is so flat and low, heavy rainfall won't really have any where to run off, and low areas may remain flooded for several days or weeks until the water can soak in to the or drain off.

Thus, flooding is likely going to be problem if Emily hits the Yucatan, but not necessarily mudslides. Just some thoughts based on what I know about the geology. But don't take my word for it, okay?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center