trinibaje
(Weather Guru)
Fri Jul 15 2005 02:02 PM
Re: Emily Category 4, Hurricane Warnings up for Jamaica

Quote:

Thanks for reply, Rasvar. I don't know the geography there either. I read that the town named "Izamel" means "city of hills". That spells trouble for mudslides to me.Hopefully, if it does hit the Yucatan, it will be fast moving and not dump quite as much rain. Speed seems pretty high right now.....hopefully it does not slow down....Have not seen any eye on radar this morning....

I remember spending some time in Merida in 1994, i don't recall it being mountainous at all. If Emily is a wet storm i would be more concerned about flooding in that region. Merida has lots of strong old style spanish buidlings and hotels. If she is in Merida she should take shelter in one of those.

also merida is away from coast.. so i don't think there is a storm surge issue

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center