RedingtonBeachGuy
(Moderator)
Fri Jul 15 2005 05:18 PM
Lightning Question

Every day I am hearing about a couple of homes going up in flames from cloud to ground lightning in C FL. So, I have a question for the knowledgable here:

Does cloud to ground lightning just happen and the bolt goes where it goes till it finally gets grounded? Or, as the bolt approaches the ground can it be manipulated to strike somewhere other than the destination it chose as it left the clouds?

I understand lightning protection is available.. but what I am more interested in is whether that bolt will generally seek a higher object to hit like a house roof or tree that might be 50 feet from its projection or is it going to strike exactly the pinpoint course it left the cloud with, irregardless where that is on the ground, high or low?

Thanks!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center