danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Jul 16 2005 04:30 AM
Concentric Eyewalls

Quote:

Thanks guys! Thought I was all by my lonesome there for awhile! Enjoy this site and all the personalities immensely. Have learned a lot, but have tons more to learn. I was wondering about the concentric eyewalls, what exactly is that?

A rare occurence. They are somewhat of a Hurricane metamorphosis. Eye contracts to a very small diameter. A second, larger diameter eyewall forms, the original eyewall collapses and the second eyewall begins contracting. Over time it may become as small as the original eyewall.
Hurricane Dennis was completing, or had just completed an Eyewall Replacement Cycle prior to hitting Florida. Dennis didn't get a chance to 'spin back up' and increase his wind speed and drop his pressure. Had he done so. The probability that Dennis would have done much more destruction. Would have been much higher.
Both in the area size and damage intensity.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center