Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sat Jul 16 2005 05:11 AM
Re: Concentric Eyewalls

Quote:

I do remember about three hours prior to landfall. Ivan ingested some drier air on the SW Quadrant.

Mainly what I remember about IVAN is that it only made that turn to the east at the very very last minute...causing me to worry no end about my brother in MS. If it hadn't turned it would have hit the MS/AL state line.. As it was they still got some pretty nifty winds in Pascagoula that night. Power was out but my brother called me as promised on his cell when they finally told him that it was time for all the deputies to get off the streets and find the nearest safe place to hunker down (this was just as they started getting hurricane force winds), and then he called me again around 1 or 2 am I think to let me know they were getting the high winds and what it was like.

I was monitoring the buoy info in the gulf and the next morning found the highest wave height on a buoy south of Dauphin Island. It was over 30 feet, and that is something for an area where water isn't shallow.

EDIT: I may be wrong but it seems like actually the wave height was around 50 ft.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center