Clark
(Meteorologist)
Fri Jul 22 2005 05:25 PM
Re: 11 a.m. Discussion

MissBecky -- the BAM series of models only take into account the steering flow and the Beta drift (related to Coriolis) of the storm. That's pretty much it, making them somewhat limited. The BAMM takes into account the middle levels as those steering the storm, the BAMD most of the atmospheric, and the BAMS (often not used) just the low levels.

Note about navigating the SFWMD site -- I don't know of any direct way it can be done. Essentially, you can just take the address I provided before and change storm_91 to whatever one you think is out there -- e.g. 06 for Franklin, 05 for Emily, and so on.

Note about satellite colorization -- the raw satellite data goes to many places, including TV stations. There are algorithms that exist to provide any sort of colorization that you like for a satellite image, and the TV stations apply ones they feel are best for TV to show what is out there. Similarly, the NHC has one of their own as well, while the AVN Color composite is yet another choice out there. Different color schemes exist for other satellite products as well. Really, it's the same data...just a different color scheme applied based on user/viewer preferences.

Note about Franklin and a northward movement -- the storm is drifting right now, but most of the motion can be attributed to the system becoming better organized in association with the deep convection. I don't think any definitive trend has begun, but be watching from here through the rest of the day to see if one does get started.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center