Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sat Jul 23 2005 02:40 AM
Re: Franklin Ragged, Likely out to Sea

Margie -- well, it's not really over Emily right now. There are certainly people tracking it to the end of its lifecycle (using mainly GOES-10 instead of GOES-12 now for satellite imagery), but the main reason why floater is still over the western Gulf is that they can be slow in changing the floater locations for new situations. It's about in the right spot for the NW Carib. disturbance to appear in it soon, so I don't imagine they'll be shifting it too much in the near-future.

Phil -- at this rate, maybe you need a caricature for the "Lil' Phil" persona as your avatar!

Recon data -- that'd be new data. The Melbourne radar hints at an eye-like structure, but I didn't run with it because it's on the far edge of the radar and without being able to see to the east, it's tough to make that call. Obviously, recon has it much better. The convective pattern is still somewhat disorganized, but the surface circulation is still there. It's trying to get its act together, possibly even reforming a little to the SE like some have suggested (though that might be partly a visual trick due to the convective pattern). Like last night, I expect we'll see some better organization as we all wake up for the weekend.

NW Carib. disturbance: here's a snippet from the 10:30p ET TWO --

"UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE VERY FAVORABLE FOR TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION..."

Don't see that wording all too often with developing tropical systems. I don't expect this recon mission to be cancelled, unfortunately, and we might have something by the end of the day Saturday...depending on how well-organized it is once it emerges into the Bay of Campeche.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center