Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Sat Jul 23 2005 04:15 PM
Re: "It's 1954 all over again"

Quote:

>>I found this part of the discussion interesting....in no way am I trying to wishcast, but I'm trying to understand what physics could force the system to go south and southwest. Could the awaited trough deflect Franklin rather than pick him up

No. It would be the clockwise flow around the high pressure behind the trof that would force it back on a westerly course. Will that happen? I don't know. But the flow around the trof wouldn't deflect it SW, if it were part of the steering regime. It would have SWly winds out front of it tending to steer it off to the NE. Hey, I got a big fat "F" in physics, but I do understand clocks.

Steve Hacket (vague RnR reference)

I like to leave the physics for the models...Here's a link to the current 1000mb or surface level steering currents.
http://www.wunderground.com/data/640x480/huratl_slp.gif

Though tropical disturbances are steered much more by the 500/850 mb flow (depending on the size). Of course winds still flow counterclockwise around an anticyclone, and clockwise around a cyclone.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center