Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 06:34 PM
Re: franklin going away, SAT brought a question

Thanks Lysis. I was hoping that others on s2k and here might have run across some different seasonal forecasts as well and be willing to post a link or a writeup. I know some outfit in Texas (something risk?) does a highest anticipated impact area, but their seasonal totals are usually so far off that I quit looking at them. I know there are others. I'm not trying to call anyone out (e.g. I love indepdentwx), but as science progresses in overall seasonal recognition, we can see who is improving and what we're learning overall. A lot of people think it's voodoo, but I always bring up whether or not people would have thought what Dr. William Gray was doing was jive back in the 1970's in trying to predict numbers of storms. Now, we all take him fairly seriously. We'll never be to the point where we'll be able to say 3 months out that a storm will be at point "x" on a certain day, but we will recognize factors that contribute to certain reactions just like we do for looking at upcoming winter or summer patterns and such.

To suppliment the beginning of the post (since I left out the Bastardi update), he's calling for hurricane hits in Texas, Canana, New England, MS/AL/NWFL zone, a major for S Florida and a major for North Carolina. I added in the part about close-in tropical storms, because I'm sure there will be 3 or 4 more of those hitting before the season is up.

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center