Shalafi
(Weather Guru)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:05 PM
Re:Frankliin

Quote:

Affect, not effect, would be the clearer choice in that sentence. However you could say that one effect of the low pressure was to induce more births.

Affect is a verb and in this case means to influence.
Using effect as a verb here, while not technically incorrect, has a slightly different and more limited meaning that is probably not the best word choice; while you could say that the low pressure effected the births that is more like saying it carried them out or implemented them, rather than caused them, as if the hurricane was a midwife. Effect is used more often as a noun, where it generally refers to a result.

I give up. I looked it up on 2 websites...got the proper use and thought I had it nailed since affect is something you are going to do and effect is something that has happened...so I give up...

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center