Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Mon Jul 25 2005 02:52 PM
Re:Frankliin

Quote:

...this year, with the super-high SSTs, i'm very worried about the potential for a long-tracking CV storm to make it's way up here...

Could you elaborate on cause and effect?

When I first came to this site, earlier this month, and Dennis was in the GOM, I remember asking about whether Dennis was going to move towards the warmer SSTs and wanted to know if the SSTs steered the storm. The response I got back from one of the moderators was that hurricanes are in general steered by the upper layer air circulation (with the central pressure of the hurricane having a relationship to the height of the air circulation that would be dominant), not by SSTs.

So it appears you are saying that water temperature is a major factor in steering hurricanes? That warmer SSTs in the NE would be a contributing factor to hurricanes being steered that way?

I had thought that was not the case, but that if a hurricane happened over warmer water, warmer SSTs would be simply one factor that could facilitate strengthening.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center