Bloodstar
(Moderator)
Fri Aug 05 2005 04:36 AM
Re: Tropical Depression Nine Forms in Atlantic

To the Mods: I hope you don't mind me attempting to respond to this post and if you want to send this to the graveyard, feel free.

ralphfl:
firstly: if you see people making posts you think are either dangerous or misleading, inform a moderator, They're actually pretty nice people and generally try to keep the fora on topic and focused on what is most important: Our fascination and infactuation with hurricanes. Yes, we're a bunch of hobbiests, and tehre are some posts that spread FUD. But with the Meterologists who take the time out of their day to give us insight and thoughts, and with people with 20+ years of experience tracking storms, it's fairly easy to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

I don't know who posted saying that florida was under the gun, but by all means report him to the mods. We're here to actually discuss ideas and reasoning, not wishcast.

We make it a point to emphesize that the NHC is *THE SOURCE* for hurricane information. We do not feel our ideas are as valid as the NHC most of the time (though every once in a while we can all agree they'll miss something, no one is perfect) We tell people to not depend on us, we can give thoughts, but the NHC is the gospel.

As far as people looking at the models a wek out and trying to spot something. that's part of the fun. to be able to say, "I saw it first" is a nice thought, particularly when you are able to do it more often than not. I know I do it with forming tropical depressions. And I do it for more than simply the thrill of actually predicting something (though it's nice on those rare times when I am vindicated , but I also do it so I can better understand the storms and maybe in 10 years I'll actually be better than terrible. Other people have their own reasons, but i suspect most of them do it for positive reasons, not to wish death and destruction down upon florida or (pick the city of your choice).

Remember that we're here to have fun as well.

I've said it before, and Ill say it again, if someone posts something you think is out of line, or a wishcast or something designed to spread unfounded fear, let the mods know. Be pro-active and help the mods keep the boards what they're supposed to be. Enjoyable

Take care
-Mark

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center