Bloodstar
(Moderator)
Fri Aug 05 2005 08:21 PM
Re: GOM Development, 09L and Harvey

Regarding the GOM development, it looks like it's more onshore than offshore. It might drift south and make something but until that actually happens, I'd say ixnay on any development as a tropical system.

09L: The circulation looks like it's starting to weaken. though with some Isolated convection on the southern side, together with some good banding features (but very limited convection) on the northern semi circle. it's going to take a while for the storm to pick up some steam. if I had to take a short term estimate, I'd say it's going to stairstep to a WNW for the next 24 hours. though it's possible the convection could keep it a little further south as the circulation tries to remain connected to the convection. With the system weaker, despite the initial northern jaunt, it should drift to a more westerly motion and be a tropical storm in 24 hours. it won't take much convection to push the system to a tropical storm. and one good presistant burst should do it.

Harvey: Heading due east, and looks like it's slowing down slightly. but any realistic chance that the storm could make it to hurricane status was pretty much wiped out by the shear that struck it last night. It's possible that the shear could relax while it's over relatively warm waters, but I wouldn't hold my breath, it looks like yet another system that fell just short or hurricane intensity. Which is not a bad thing, as I suspect we'll have plenty more systems to worry about later.

The blob of conection at 10N 22W (or so) actually has a better chance of developing with TD 9 being weaker than projected. (less outflow shear to fight through), but it's still got a couple of days before there's any real shot at development...

the convection at 28N 70W seems to be holding together for at least 8 hours, but... it probably needs at least another day before it could possibly be something, if it holds together tonight, then tomorrow it might be worth really paying attention to. Otherwise I think any window to develop will be closed.

Just my thoughts and IANAM

-Mark

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center