Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sun Aug 07 2005 05:23 AM
Re: QuikSCAT pass

TD 9 is looking better tonight, though it is a little unclear as to where exactly the center is located -- as evidenced by the good discussion above. Continuity would place it just west of the current small blowup of convection, but there are signs of either multiple centers (with another to the north) or of the center reforming to the east. My best guess is that the center does agree with continuity and is just west of the convective blowup, while the "banding" feature you see is more indicative of the mid-level circulation. Still, it's an improvement. Dvorak estimates were very low with Franklin and it was categorized higher...ditto Harvey...and given the QuikSCAT pass from earlier and the current convective blowup, I think we have Irene on our hands...figure the NHC will concur at 5a. Nothing much to write home about, really, but another marker in the tallybook for this season.

As for storms looking better at night: it's due to a feature called the diurnal convective maximum. I can't explain it well, nor is there a very good explanation available online, but in general tropical convection tends to peak in the hours leading to daybreak (as opposed to continental convection, which tends to peak from mid-afternoon to sunset).

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center