Jax Chris
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Aug 11 2005 01:41 PM
Re: JB's Thursday AM take

Quote:

Is Florida out of the woods yet?? When I saw this am's track I thought we were. However when I read in the discussion about a "possible" westward bend I started thinking maybe not ... So which is it? Can I relax or do I have to hold my breath a few more days?

As long as it's still spinning, it still needs to be watched. One of my favorite examples is Hurricane Doria (1967) http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1967/DORIA/track.gif which started life at latitude 28.5 N, heading for the coast of southern Florida, did a sharp 180 just off the shore, headed out to sea, did another 180 at 36.9 N latitude and about due north of Bremuda, came back and hit North Carolina from the NORTH, then headed back out to sea and died at latitude 29.5 N -- which is back down to Florida latitudes. Just because they're north of you and heading east doesn't mean that they're done with you.

Jax Chris

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center