doug
(Weather Analyst)
Thu Aug 11 2005 06:43 PM
Re: JB's Thursday AM take

Irene looks like it is solidifying a convection core. The center which had been open to the south has now become completley surrounded with convection...still very little going on in the west and south though and it presents with an almost straight line oriented ese-wnw cloud coverage along the southern and western reaches of the overcast area giving an elongated appearance. Outflow exists vigorously only on the north and some less vigorous outflow on the east...nothing in the west northwest or south. Convection does not seem to be building above the mid levels. All of this is why the intensity estimates are probably accurate for now.
If the development around the center can maintain and it may as it proceeds toward warm water it can still pull itself together into a hurricane. I don't see the dissapation the GFS called for, bur it is still pretty fragile. I see nothing to suggest it is a hurricane now.
No reason to think it will not continue wnw especially if strengthening continues, as I cannot evaluate the relative strength of the ridge or the timing of the trough. Florida should be safe though.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center