Brad in Miami
(Storm Tracker)
Tue Aug 16 2005 03:49 AM
Re: Bye Bye TD 10

Just to clarify, even setting aside other issues regarding that GFDL run (i.e., it's only one run off an unclassified low, the model has been changing run to run, it's 5+ days out, etc.), that GFDL run doesn't bring the remnants of TD 10 to a 113 kt storm. The 113 kt forecast winds are at a height of 950 mb, so, according to the GFDL's translation, surface winds would typically be 15-25% less, ie about 85-96 kt.

To see that caveat, look at the lower left hand corner of the model run.

The former TD 10 still has a pretty vigorous circulation. My money is still against regeneration - looks like it has a decent amount of shear left to fight through - but not by too much. I'm surprised it's held on this well through the last 36 or more hours, but I suppose I shouldn't be in light of the shear-survivors that came before it this season.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center