Clark
(Meteorologist)
Thu Aug 18 2005 08:01 PM
Re: Back To Life?

Scott, I just don't see it there. The convection has gone kaput, leaving a mid-level vortex there near 13.5N/82W, with no real signs of anything down at the surface. Whatever turning that was there at the mid-levels further south closer to 10N is gone now, leaving behind no signs of a surface low. The surface obs, if anything, suggest something inland over western Panama. Winds along the coast in Costa Rica have been out of the ENE today, while winds in central Panama have gradually come around to the SE from the east earlier today. I'm looking at obs over the course of 5 hours now, to go with those earlier today. That would suggest any turning is over the western part of Panama, if at all, and given wind speeds of generally 5-8mph that I'm seeing, is very weak. Pressure are low, granted, but there doesn't appear to be any corresponding surface circulation. The mid-level vortex (that turning on the visible...take note of the mid-level cloud motions versus the spotty, duller low-level cloud motions) can help spin-up one in time, now that the convection has died out, but it's just not there yet. Just how I see it...

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center