Clark
(Meteorologist)
Wed Aug 24 2005 02:41 AM
Re: katrina problems

97L BYU high-res QuikSCAT plot -- http://manati.orbit.nesdis.noaa.gov/storm_byu_at_image21/byu_hires20052352052_97.png

I don't think they do anything for wind-flagged vectors, and I believe that covers this morning's pass instead of this evening's, which has a large gap in the east Atlantic. I swear, that satellite always misses the active events... Anyway, based off of that, plus the appearance and versus how storms of that appearance generally are rated, it's more than likely a TD and possibly a TS. But, since it's so far out and with Irene apparently being the quota for the year, the NHC is going to be slow to do anything with it as long as it maintains that look, for better or worse. Just wish we could've had our consistency earlier, but I'm not going to rehash that argument (as with TD 10).

More later...
well, it isn't conclusive. looks like all the gale vectors would be rain-flagged. still if you adjust the t-numbers for shear, paired with the 25-30kt unflagged stuff, it's a convincing case for a depression. i guess 'tropical low' will have to do for now. -HF

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center