Genesis
(Weather Guru)
Thu Aug 25 2005 03:10 AM
Re: Can someone advise of their thoughts of the GFDL run

It appears that for that model to verify the ULL in the gulf and the ridge would both have to remain and basically draw the cyclone towards the WSW.

The GFDL is definitely an outlier here - its the only model showing this much influence of that weak ULL in the gulf - everything else seems to show that feature backing away and removing itself from the playing field.

I'd be warily watching this thing - if it looks to come anything south of west then be very concerned. Given that there's no consensus on this track I'd be prepared to act but not freak out at this point. The NHC is definitely paying attention to this solution but I wouldn't say they're endorsing it, and within the next 12 hours you should be able to determine if it looks like this is verifying or not. If the next GFDL update comes around to be more in line with consensus then you've got your answer.... likewise if other models start to shift south and west.

So long as motion isn't south of west I don't believe you're going to see the GFDL solution bear out.

Up here in the panhandle we're REALLY paying attention to that as well, because if that solution DOES verify then the odds of us getting a real pasting go WAY up. In fact, that particular model run and its potential to verify are basically what I'm watching in reference to the actual path of the storm in terms of attempting to calibrate the risk of it showing up in my back yard.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center