Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Thu Aug 25 2005 05:22 PM
Re: Dry slot working into the center?

I have just finished looking at about 8 different loops. Although it appeared to be going almost due west for a while, I am seeing jogs to the sw just like you are, Steve. It's almost "stair-stepping" at this point. This morning it looked like it was going to make landfall near WPB (at least to my eyes), now it is further south near Ft. Lauderdale.
Also....NWS in Tampa is very concerned about Katrina. The latest disco urged people in West Central and South central Florida to not let their guard down.
I have a question: if this is only 45 miles due east from Ft. Lauderdale traveling at 6mph heading due west, why (according to NHC) would it be making landfall around midnite or 1:00am? If it's 1:00pm now, wouldn't they be expecting landfall around 7-8pm tonight?
I'll admit...I was never really good at math...so please feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center