Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Fri Aug 26 2005 04:51 PM
Re: Plans and thoughts...

Quote:

Rainfall totals so far for this storm in the Keys is 8 - 10 inches. I wonder if they were prepared for this deluge?

Last night I was wondering when the more westward movement was going to start occuring. I figured that if it kept on 225 deg, around morning Katrina would have been sitting just to the NW of Key West. What an unpleasant surprise that would have been to many residents who went to bed hearing it was going to go due W of Ft. Lauderdale and exit at Naples, to wake up to the convection bands of a Cat 1 hurricane. As it was, it didn't go quite that close (not due to a change in dir though, but due to the fact that it slowed down), although it came to NW of Key West and is now moving to the W of that. Early early this morning, when it was just coming offshore, the outer bands had a curve that matched the curve of the keys, and just sat there spinning over them. It is a little strange. The flood predictions for FL mainland also seemed to be a little out of sync. They were for further north, and all last night the rain bands camped over Homestead and points N, and you could see the rain totals there go over 12" as the evening progressed, and see the 10" and 12" areas expand. The general warnings were correct for a heavy rain event on S FL, but as far as the specific areas that were most affected, I guess that one was hard to call in advance.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center