StormKrone
(Weather Watcher)
Fri Aug 26 2005 06:41 PM
Re: Direction

Hello from the Big Bend…. Well... you can blame(credit) any sou'westerly movement on me... I am huffing and puffing as hard as I can to keep it away.. Honest!!!

On a more serious note, ARC Disaster Services (Tallahassee) is now on stand-by and I will be going in to hdqtrs tomorrow noon. Logistics and staffing, that’s my game!! <g>

Basically, we have had record rainfall, something like 21" since June 1 (I think) and 46” this year. So the ground is soaked. This is much the same conditions that met Hurricane Kate back in 1985. A fact that hasn't escaped local meterologists. Kate came ashore at Apalachicola in Nov. 1985, as a Cat 1 (as I remember) and the next morning the trees looked like a tangle of fiddlesticks. This is definitely a possibility if any part of this storm hits near... and, as some models indicate, we would be on the 'wrong side'...

We were without power for over a week... and some longer. A huge oak behind my apartment was pulled up/out/over by the roots, due to the soggy ground. It could happen again..

Seems kind of 'deja vu-like' that both storms are "Ks"... Kate the last and late storm of the season, and Katrina, perhaps the first of a new wave of hurricanes closing out this season....

Dee

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center