Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sat Aug 27 2005 01:04 PM
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain

Quote:

Quote:

my now would be a low end 4. i'm playing a little weakening into the odds, because hurricanes almost never hit at full power. the strong 3 is a compromise. since you're in okaloosa i wouldn't worry too terribly much. unless you're in a mobile home and can animatedly describe 'tar-naders' and ufos to the local news in the worst of southern pidgin, you should be OK. -HF

Exactly. Although I do know people who are in a mobile home. They can't animatedly describe "tar-naders" though, and I've never discussed UFOs with them!

Cantore just mentioned Elena. I remember Elena. Elena was not pleasant. Katrina is no Elena (she's much worse! ).

ETA:
I keep going back to the water vapor loop. Now it's looking like moisture is beginning to form and loop back into Katrina from the north. In other words, a hurricane that was lopsided with most of its nasty stuff on the south yesterday looks like it may be getting its act together - getting better organized to use the technical term
Now, something just does not feel right about saying that a cat 3 hurricane is getting better organized. Is the buildup of "wet" air to the north a sign that the north turn may be beginning soon, or am I paranoid?

ETA2: I just noticed that it looks like it's just growing and growing and growing - it's actually expanded more to the SOUTH than it has to the NORTH. Egads, this is getting HUGE!!!!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center