Jeffmidtown
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 27 2005 01:31 PM
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain

Good morning from Atlanta.....

In watching all our local mets and following the many different shifts in computer models, I have to feel 3 things........

1) I still think that the entire Gulf Coast from Galveston to the Big Bend is still in play until Katrina starts to make the forecast Northerly turn. With the history of this storm, it seems that Kat does not follow conventional logic or what we are used to with tropical systems. This storm is going to be studied and studied on what caused it to act the way it is. With that being said...If your local EOC tells you to evacuate, then by all means EVACUATE! That's their job to protect and save lives and a little inconvience now could save many lives.

2) I have to call onto the carpet the local TV mets here in Atlanta stating on the 11pm news that we are out of the woods here in Atlanta for any flooding rain or severe weather. Just because Kat did not produce any severe weather in the right front quadrant when she made her inital landfall, DOES NOT mean that it wont happen with the second landfall. The NWS office in Peachtree City is still calling for 4-7 inches of rain and the only thing that has changed from their forecast is the timing of that occurance.

3) I have a nagging question that someone could answer for me.....a) Would it be entirely possible that Katrina could just stay on a westerly course and go right into Mexico?

Be vigilant everyone and Thanks....

Jeff in Atlanta

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center