Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sat Aug 27 2005 05:13 PM
Re: Eyewall replacement cycle?

Quote:

Based on radar a few hours ago, the eyewall replacement cycle was going on replacing a tiny, 9 NM eye with a larger one about double the radius.
However, looking at IR, WV, and Visible it appears this new eye has formed, and a 2nd, giant-eye eyewall replacement cycle has begun more then doubling the recently formed eye. Can anyone confim this? The visible is picking up a new circular pattern outside the central eye, convection (IR) and WV show a nearly completely inactive zone between the new eye and the even newer forming eyewall.
I wish this thing was inside radar range so we could see for sure.
Source: SSD Floater 1
Again, can anyone confirm what I'm seeing?

I see the same thing. The WV makes the eye look VERY large. I can see a bit of a WNW trend on the WV but not on visible of IR. If the new eye compresses to the north instead of the south that could signal a change in motion (couldn't it?). Still looks on WV like someone punched Katrina's upper left corner in.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center