Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sat Aug 27 2005 07:42 PM
Re: Hurricane Watches up For Southeast Louisiana

Quote:

It looks like Katrina is making a slightly north turn know very slowley it might be a begin of a major track shift.

Every single time I have seen it look like it was making a slight turn north in the last several hours, it has then smoothed out back to the west. It's still 6-12 hours away from the turn in the forecast, I think.

Having said that, the water vapor continues to make me think that the turn is going to begin sooner than that if it has not already begun.

ETA:
Forget the wobbles for a few minutes. Just LOOK at the latest VIS imagery. Katrina IS becoming MUCH LARGER based upon my untrained eyeballs. It's clear that even if the motion does not have a northward component (yet), the CDO is EXPANDING northward in a fairly dramatic fashion. The trend of non-weakening that I said I figured would last for several more hours may be over already.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center