Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sat Aug 27 2005 11:32 PM
Re: New Orleans Prepares for Katrina

Quote:

Thankyou both for your replies. I don't live in a flood zone either and we have been incredibly lucky with damage from Ivan and Dennis. We had many limbs down but that was it. No roof damage, nothing. We left with both Ivan and Dennis and I really don't want to go through that again. My only concern is if Katrina turns, hits the area directly at category 5. I don't know if my family could handle that. It would be terrifying. So for now we'll just wait until tommorow and if we have to, we'll get out.

If Katrina strengths overnight and heads toward the FWB/Destin area... well, I don't want to think about that possibility.

One thing I just thought of: I wasn't alive in 1969, but as I understand it, people in the FWB area went to bed believing that Camille was headed toward them. Then in the morning the storm had turned toward the Mississippi coast. Hurricane Opal in 1995 was headed for a direct hit on New Orleans when I went to bed in Pensacola (I was in school at UWF at the time) - woke up and found out we were under a hurricane warning and evacuated that afternoon to Val-P, and still got slammed. Storms have a tendancy to change direction without warning.

Update: Pressure back down to 944. Here's the recon report:
URNT12 KNHC 272257
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 27/22:44:30Z
B. 24 deg 49 min N
085 deg 36 min W
C. 700 mb 2604 m
D. NA kt
E. NA deg nm
F. 287 deg 083 kt
G. 207 deg 028 nm
H. EXTRAP 944 mb
I. 12 C/ 2745 m
J. 19 C/ 2746 m
K. 12 C/ NA
L. RAGGED
M. E12/40/30
N. 12345/ 7
O. 0.02 / 2 nm
P. AF306 WX12A KATRINA01 OB 12
MAX FL WIND 101 KT E QUAD 21:38:40 Z
SLP EXTRAP FROM 700 MB
RAGGED EYE STRUCTURE APPEARS TO BE CONSOLIDATING

24 deg 49 min, 85 deg 36 min now. At 5pm it was 24.6, 85.6. There are 60 minutes in a degree aren't there? So that equals 24. 816, 85.6. There is your northward motion, it appears. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center