zacman2400
(Registered User)
Sun Aug 28 2005 12:47 AM
Re: New Orleans Prepares for Katrina

I have been a long time lurker here and have decided to post. Hurricane Katrina if she hasnt already finished her eye wall replacement cycle, she will soon. From satellite images her outflow is looker better in all quadrants, and her core has gotten stronger. I agree with the NHC that this will be a category four hurricane, but not until she opens up her eye. Her pressure might even get down to 935 MB, but her winds will not correspondingly go up until she opens up the eye.
chances of her becoming category five?
Theres more here at play than high water temperatures. Historically hurricanes have weakened before landfall going into the North Gulf Coast. The only thing to weaken her though is shear forecasted during landfall. Most likely she will landfall as a category four 145 mph, but there is a small possibly she could strengthen to a category five. I have doubts though she could hold that intensity very long, due to her extended eye wall replacement cycle today.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center