Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Aug 28 2005 12:54 AM
Re: President Bush declares State of Emergency in Louisiana

[quote
Terra, I am not sure who you were responding to, but my whole point is to NOT obsess over every point. I am not trying to be mean or anything but extrapolating two hour movements, and "eyeballing" movements are not necessarily good ideas when you have a MAJOR hurricane bearning down on an area.
Please understand I mean no disrepect, I am simply trying to give my educated opinion.

The education attempt is appreciated. Let me explain my reasoning, though - I'm looking at the shape and movement of the central dense overcast (CDO) - the whole storm, not just the eye. As the storm changes shape, it shows in some ways how it is being infliuenced by factors that will potentially steer it one way or the other.

Currently with the eye not visible on IR, it's easy to take some dry entrenchments as being the eye which can cause confused, too. It's hard to say which was Katrina will ultimately head, but it's "pointing" toward a more northward motion than the 4pm forecast, though. The 10pm forecast could stay the same, or it could move to the east. We'll find out at 10pm (CT).

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center