Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Sun Aug 28 2005 01:35 AM
Re: New Orleans Prepares for Katrina

Thanks for explaining the difference in direction! Like Terra said, that explains a lot. So, say for instance that we are seeing a more n/nw motion, the NHC will wait for 6 hours before putting that as a confirmed direction?
I've been watching TWC and I thought I was nuts because I thought I was seeing a more north/nw motion, and of course this could have been due to the EWRC. When they came out with the WNW, I thought I'd lost my mind. Which is still a possibility.
I am glad that the officials in LA are taking this storm so seriously, getting people out early; but like someone else said there are almost no preparations going on in Pensacola eastward. *IF* the track changes -- even shifts a tad to the east at landfall, it's going to be ugly. I just saw someone on CNN complaining about what a pain it is to board up his windows. Same thing in Gulf Shores. I'm sure this is not a majority of the people in those areas, but with this storm only 36 +/- hours away, I think they are playing with fire.
My thoughts go out to those in the path of this storm...I just can't believe this is happening again! Please be safe and do what you can to keep yourselves out of danger.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center