Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Sun Aug 28 2005 03:38 AM
Re: New Orleans Prepares for Katrina

As big as she is (and I'm not sure if she is as big as Georges was) if she hits further east, Tampa will get more of the outer bands like we experienced with Georges. I am also wondering if her size will have any effect on her movement. I *thought* that larger storms usually like to move more poleward --- toward the north. I do not know if that is actually a fact, but it's been mentioned many times here and on other forums. She just has so much water to work with and at the slow pace she is going, I believe she is only going to get larger. I am not usually in disagreement with the NHC and I am not saying that I am, but at this point I think there is still a good possibility that the track will shift east...how much? I have no idea. I do know that MSNBC (only one station) has said that this forecast is not set in stone because of the slow movement. I wanted to email him and say, "NO DUH!"
If you wake up tomorrow morning and noticing it starting to get breezier, you'll know.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center