Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Aug 28 2005 10:49 AM
Re: Category 4 Katrina Heads for the Coast

Quote:

2) Unbelieveable about the evac. Right now I estimate weather conditions will deteriorate starting around 3 or 4 pm. This is because she has increased in size and because she's moving faster. How long does he think he can wait before deciding people HAVE to leave? I guess there isnt' anyone to tell him it should have been about two days ago.

There were several people HERE to tell him... but that's not important right now. I'm sure that there will be time after the storm to evaluate the decisions made at ground zero - time for others to evaluate the decisions, I mean, so that, God forbid, we get another super storm in the forseeable future, things are done differently.

Having said that, what really could be done differently? By the time N.O. had any clue what they were in for... it was too late to evacuate everyone, I honestly believe.

Edit:: SHIPS models now indicate 162 mph in 24 hours. BAMM updated to project landfall west of the city.

Edot 2" Weather channel just said Katrina may even get better organized than this - I think that is what she said. You don't GET any better organized than this. You only get stronger - but the organization doesn't really get much better than "perfect storm", does it?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center