Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Aug 28 2005 11:45 AM
Re: CAT 5 160mph!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Because so much is riding on this, I think NHC was waiting for more data to see if it was transient or if it was solid, to make the call.

Probably - the words Cat 5 have a tendency to cause mass hysteria. With a pressure now down to 910, though... there is no doubt. The only question is where specifically she'll end up and how much strong she will get. A few miles east or west will mean a lot in terms of where the destruction occurs - not if it occurs but just where.

It appears to be gradually turning - weather channel has a plot where they show the line, and it's definately right of the previous track - headed for the big easy or slightly east.

EDIT: With a pressure of 910, if my memory is correct, Katrina is now the 3rd strongest hurricane on record - only Camille (908?) and Gilbert (897?) had lower pressures. I'm using my memory so this may not be the case.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center