GuppieGrouper
(Weather Master)
Sun Aug 28 2005 02:11 PM
Re: No Evacuations?!?!?

To give distance perspective to the east of this storm, as it is now. When Camille hit in 1969, I was living in Marianna Florida which is approximately 138 car miles from Pensacola to the east. We had tropcial storm force winds all night long the night or day she hit. I awoke to large pine tree limbs down, debris everywhere. We may or may not have had a close brush with a tornado. I was a teenager and television weather reporting was not a media focus and not a lot of communication was going on. I do remember that there was some coverage though but it seemed alot more remote in those days. So the moral of this story is that if this remains a CAT 5 at landfall, It will cause problems from the landfall for hundreds of miles in all directions.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center