Lysis
(User)
Sun Aug 28 2005 10:33 PM
Re: whew

I was thinking… this is going to receive more media coverage than perhaps any storm in recent times. With so many people in New Orleans and the surrounding gulf coast covering the event, both media and storm chaser, I expect we will have a comprehensive record of this absolutely tragic and unprecedented event. The fact that this is looking like a day landfall will give everyone a clear and present look at this disaster, which is really beyond all comprehension to the layman. While I am sick to my stomach knowing what so many people are going to be experiencing at daybreak, the filmmaker and weather enthusiast in me is very anxious. I think people will finally be able to see what a super hurricane is like so that they may be able to fear and appreciate it as they should. It is unfortunate that so many people will have to suffer for this appreciation to be earned, however I think we may be at a threshold in the forecasting of this event. Watching the local media and the anchors “bringing you into the eye of the storm”, I can’t help but feel that I am seeing “dead men walking”, so to speak. Wayne Salade (our emergency manager) spoke to a limited audience at my school that I was fortunate enough to be a part of. One of the topics we were discussing is the advent of increasingly dangerous “stunts” partaken by the media, and how one day it is going to catch up to them. I cannot believe that the one guy in New Orleans on Fox has any idea what he is getting into. Katrina may be host to a media fatality like this… hopefully not on the air.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center