Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Aug 28 2005 11:23 PM
Re: whew

Hi all - took my 4-hour nap and I'm monitoring this now along with everyone.

OK I heard from my brother who works for the sheriff's dept in Pascagoula. They understand the storm surge situation and that most of the county if not all will be underwater, at varying depths, and that will be the threat, not the wind, there. My brother put his meds in a waterproof pocket in his vest. He will be stationed on the west side of the county. We talked about where a little strip of land might be above water there, and he promised to take a close look at the maps to remember where the highest points are when the surge comes. They will be working out of a little sub station right by I-10 there, using armored vehicles to go out and make rescues until it is not possible any more.

I think everyone is starting to realize what a vulnerable position Jackson County is in as far as surge. The maps are online if anyone wants to look.

They will be doing rescues, among other things, until it is almost too late to go out. Then they try to wait it out in a "safe place." He's already considered that it's entirely possible he mght spend part of the night clinging to a tree! Anyway, he's prepared as he can be, and he'll try to find a way to get in touch with me at times. We both think that unless Katrina turns east, the cell phone towers will survive even with the flooding.

My mother and one of my other brothers evacuated and are heading to my 4th brother's house in TX. The other brother who lives in the back county, no one has heard from but supposedly he hasn't left because his wife had to work at the Wal-Mart, which did not close (no comment here).

My brother was on the East Bank (of the Pascagoula River) when he called, and they were just getting ready to deploy to the west side of the cty. He said the water is already very high there.

One thing I couldn't find readily and that I'd like someone to post if they know, and that is, exclusive of the steadily rising water, when do they expect the surge to hit that area? If so, can you please post, and PM me on it as well.

A friend asked that I spend the evening with them rather than be alone, but I can still log on here from their laptop, so I'll be checking in.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center