Big Red Machine
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Aug 28 2005 11:45 PM
Re: I am certainly NOT on the boat...

Unfortunately Dan, if we get an ERC right now, Katrina may have enough time to begin strengthening again right at landfall. At this point though, debating intensity is almost insignificant, as the surge is the big factor for Nawlins, and when it comes to wind... well it doesn't make a whole heckuva lot of difference if I hit you with a sledgehammer or a basball bat... either way it's not pretty. I'd like to post a link Old Sailor posted a few days ago again. It has been a tremendous help for me in determining the true motion of the storm. http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/vortex.html

It's a game of mere miles for New Orleans right now, I can't really make a call. If by some miracle, the storm passes far enough east to avoid devasting the city, it’s still going to be a close shave. I don’t think we’ll be able to forecast it either, we’ll simply know it when it happens.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center