Bev
(Weather Guru)
Mon Aug 29 2005 04:56 AM
Re: FEMA Preparing

Quote:

Those numbers on FEMA's expectations, I have heard similar ones several times today on FNC, and that the 'Dome is expected to flood.

They're talking massive refugee camps in northern LA, west TX, and surrounding areas, where people may have to live for weeks or even months. The FEMA rep they were interviewing said there are FEMA camps (of sorts) in FL where people are still living from hurricanes some time ago (maybe years, not 100% on that).

And Accuweather is saying on the record that 50-75% of NO will be flooded.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I can confirm that FEMA "camps" still exist in Florida. Many people have been unable to recover money from insurance companies, or cannot afford to rebuild. FEMA kept threatening to shut down the "camps" but didn't know what to do with the thousands of families still living in them.

They are very small white mobile homes, squeezed in tightly together in barren areas that were once cow pastures. Not a pretty sight or a nice place to be.

I'm not sure how many of them there are, but I do know there is still a very large camp near Port Charlotte. These people were Charley survivors from August 13, 2004.

-Bev

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center