Anton Ross
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Aug 29 2005 05:10 AM
Toxicity and Envorinmental dangers

All,

Someone mentioned "fetid" water inside the dome? I'll go one further and raise the reality of floodwaters from the east bearing toxic waste from the Industrial Canal area, and from the west, floodwaters might be flowing through the Norco Industrial Complex (with refineries and chemical plants)...and all of these facilities will likely suffer catastrophic failure.

Looks like on top of the straight "damage" the Crescent City will have to deal with, there may likely be severe air and water pollution as well from all the chemicals being blown out.

It's been a few years since I was down there, but I spent a lot of time in 1989-1991 (I was in School in Pensacola, girlfriend was in Law School in NO) and I seem to remember that the gas stations all had above-ground tanks? I can just imaging those being knocked down and blown open...potential fire danger with fuel floating on top of flood waters...

I think this may get as nasty as some of the FEMA people have mentioned off-hand.

Katrina is bad enough on her own, but the area around N'ahlins is pretty toxic if not contained properly.

Oy.
/Anton in Charleston

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center