danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Aug 29 2005 08:16 AM
Re: Weakening and Heading North

I went back and looked at the map plot that I just referenced.
Center of storm was 85 miles off shore at the time of the last fix...based on a due north movement.
This would take Katrina over a few towns in the Lower Parishes, but mainly over marshy area with few trees.
In other words...not much to slow her winds...topographically. We would have to hope for dry air entrainment to take the 'wind' out of her.

The bad thing about her going up the East side of New Orleans is that I would think that she could push the MS River backwards in addition to pushing water into Lake Ponchartrain. I think I'll put that theory away. I don't like that thought.

***Note: WLOX TV Met just put up a track from his "Viper-like" computer with the same points that I had come up with. Then turning some toward the east after passing over the MS/LA border at the GOM/ Pearl River.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center