Brad in Miami
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Aug 29 2005 06:56 PM
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding

Margie:

You wrote that your brother called you via cell phone before. Even though his cell phone worked for that one call, it may not work again for a while, possibly hours or days, and it may not work in specific areas during or after the storm. So I would not lose hope based on the fact he hasn't called you again; even in much weaker storms, cell coverage becomes very spotty. (If you need an example, here in Miami cell coverage still isn't 100% after our brush with a very minimal cat 1 version of Katrina, and I only got a few calls out to family - despite hours of trying - in the first 2 days after the storm.)

I certainly wouldn't give up hope, particularly based on the fact you haven't gotten another call.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center